Loligo Pealei Squid
Platinum Label ®
Fisherman’s Pride Platinum Label® Calamari, caught in the North Atlantic Ocean off the East coast of the US. This species, Loligo Pealei; is considered the world’s premier species, pure white flesh, naturally tender, with a natural sweet flavor. Fisherman’s Pride Platinum Label® exceeds the highest standards of quality and is used by some of the most famous Chefs worldwide. Supervised under HACCP guidelines and the strictest of quality control for consistency, excellence and value with every pound purchased.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F. In a large roasting tray lay down a bed of rosemary and place the tomatoes, red pepper, garlic cloves, and onion on top. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, roast for 45 minutes.
2. Allow to cool enough to remove the skins from the tomatoes and red pepper. Pop the soft garlic cloves out of their skins, and discard the rosemary. Slice the red pepper and onion into thin strips. In a large pan add a little olive oil and the skinned tomatoes, red pepper and garlic. Over a medium heat allow to heat through using the back of a spoon to squash the tomatoes into a sauce like onsistency. Add the wine and allow the alcohol to cook off before adding the stock.
3. In a large pot of salted boiling water cook the pasta according to package directions. Don’t overcook as you’ll toss it through the hot sauce. Drain cooked pasta.
4. Drizzle a little olive oil over the calamari and season well. In a grill pan, skillet or barbeque cook in small batches for about two minutes on each side. Be careful not to overcook, Calamari should be moist and tender.
5. Add the baby spinach to the sauce and as soon as the spinach has wilted, reduce the heat. Toss through the pasta and when warmed through and coated well with sauce, take off the heat. Stir through the basil leaves and place small piles in serving bowls. Top with calamari and finish with a good squeeze of lemon.